Forget the idea that braces are only for children. Persons from 18 to 100 also make good candidates for orthodontics. That realization is catching on with more people. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, nearly one in every four persons receiving orthodontic care has reached adulthood. In fact, millions of adults in the U.S. have had or are currently wearing braces. That’s good news for adults who wish they had addressed oral issues when they were still young. In Annapolis adult braces are worth your consideration for a variety of reasons:
- The best reason of all is quality of life. Teeth, when poorly aligned, can affect a person’s oral health in many ways. Poor alignment can lead to serious issues such as gum disease, tooth decay, and discomfort when chewing. If such situations are not corrected, teeth can steadily weaken and lead to a host of painful problems, which may not be as easily addressed later.
- Teeth brought into better alignment can also affect your health in other ways, such as improving sleep patterns, relieving stress, and reducing headaches.
- A few factors may make a person a less-than-ideal candidate for braces. But age is rarely one of them. You are unlikely to ever be too old to consider and benefit from corrective measures.
- Adults today have a lot more options for dental work than previous generations. In Annapolis adult braces are available in a variety of types. Metal wire and bracket braces may still be the best option. However, alternatives like aligners, also known as clear braces, are a lot less noticeable, if noticed at all. For some patients, ceramic braces, which are the color of teeth, may be the ideal option. Also, today’s braces are much more comfortable than their precursors were.
- Teeth that are in proper alignment will stay healthier and last longer because it’s easier to take care of them. It can be difficult, or even impossible, to clean around misaligned teeth with a regular brush and floss care. Teeth corrected by braces are less susceptible to bacteria or plaque.
Other factors to consider
Because teeth stop growing when you reach adulthood, they won’t bend to the will of braces as easily as during childhood. There are cutting-edge options like Acceledent that can speed the straightening of teeth. But even if you opt for a longer course of treatment, braces today are easier to wear and to maintain no matter the time required.