If you’re looking for a walk near Sydney that will be as rewarding as it is challenging, Wentworth Falls is a favorite for many a trekker. Located in the Blue Mountains, it’s a favorite destination for many who travel in a motorhome hire New Zealand.
It’s a hike that will reward you with beautiful tree covered pathways and waterfalls and streams as you continue on. You’ll be blessed with glorious views and will feel the burn as you trek up and over the cliffs.
As much of a must-do as it is, it’s also a hike that requires you to take precautions and preparation to stay safe. To ensure that your Wentworth Falls experience is a rewarding one, following are some safety tips for your adventure:
- Let someone know that you’re going and try not to go alone. While you shouldn’t end up lost, it can happen. Whether you get distracted or get turned around and confused, having someone know where you’re going is key to you getting help. Also, if you can find a partner to go with you, it’s best to have someone with you on this walk.
- Prepare for your hike beforehand and study the route that you are going to take. Get to know the route before you go. If you just try to wing it, it may end up being confusing and you could get lost. Understand how long it should take you, what areas to avoid, and what are the highlights on this trek. It can help to keep you on track and keep you from getting lost.
- Bring a compass with you. If all else fails and you find yourself confused about which way you’re going, a compass can help to lead you back to safety. It doesn’t take up much space, so bring one.
- Be aware of the hidden cliffs and drops throughout the path. While the pathways themselves won’t lead you into danger, it’s easy to find yourself off the path if you’re not paying attention. This is where you need to be careful. Because the area is full of waterfalls and cliffs, you could find yourself staring down meters of waterfall without wanting to.
- Don’t rush. Don’t rush the experience or try to run it. There are slippery places, cliffs, and drops, and you don’t want to have an accident. Be wise and stay sharp. You want to return to your motorhome hire New Zealand and continue on your road trip, so go slow.
- Walking on stones near the falls can be dangerous due to wet stones. Exercise caution. If you do happen to get close to the waterfalls, go slow. The area around the falls is misty and wet and if you’re not careful, you could have a serious fall.
- Consider asking for a personal locator beacon from the national parks or local police. If you’re planning on trekking in the Blue Mountains, you may want to ask for a personal locator beacon to ensure safety. If you get lost, the PLB can help to save your life.
- Make sure to bring plenty of water. There is water in the picnic area, but it’s always a smart idea to have water with you should unexpected situations occur. While you’re at it, bring some energy bars with you to ensure that you have something to eat should you get lost and hungry.
- Bring a hat and wear sun protection. From sun stroke to sun burns, the sun can be pretty powerful around here and you don’t want to end up sick from it. Bring a hat and don’t forget the sunscreen.
- Don’t go off the tracks. To ensure your safety, stay on the tracks. It may be tempting to explore in your own way, but it’s a recipe for getting lost.
- Don’t try to climb safety fences. Safety fences are there for a reason—your safety. Don’t attempt to climb them, as you could find yourself falling off the edge of a cliff.
- Bring extra warm clothes for possible weather changes. The day can go from sunny and bright to cloudy and rainy. Bring some extra clothes to keep you warm, no matter the weather.
Australia is full of some beautiful places to see and the Blue Mountains are worth visiting. While it isn’t the most challenging hike you’ll find in the country, the Wentworth Falls hike does require you to be cautious and plan ahead.
If you’re visiting Sydney in a motorhome hire New Zealand, the Blue Mountains aren’t far from you. You can take a day trip from Sydney and appreciate nature and then head back for a great dinner and night in the city. Wentworth Falls hike is a must do for anyone visiting the area who loves the outdoors. Stay safe!